This would be that "career" thing I've heard so much about...

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Firecrackers Vs. Fireworks

JB and I were starting to believe that all firecrackers were illegal in California. We were looking to buy some sparklers (and by "we" I mean "me" - JB was very patient and allowed me to drag him all over the greater southern California area on Saturday) and finally we found some in Pasadena in a little booth on the side of the road. I remember, as a kid, buying sparklers in the grocery store. They were everywhere. You could be a hermit and have no access to media of any kind and go into the grocery store and know it was the Forth of July because of the sparklers on display.

Anyhoo, we got our sparklers, along with some firecrackers. As soon as we bought the firecrackers I started to worry. Where are we going to light them? What if they start a fire? Can we light them in our patio? HELL NO - not with the propane tank sitting right there ready to blow a crater in the concrete. And the parking lot - which was JB's calm suggestion - seemed to me like a terrifying alternative. What if we disturbed the condo-folks? Or marked the pavement? Or set the building on fire?! What if the police came and arrested us!? I mean, if it's THIS HARD to buy fireworks, they must be illegal, right?

The big day arrived. We got the firecrackers and a long-handled lighter. I contemplated bringing the fire extinguisher which we bought when we brought the grill into our lives. Decided against it. We tamely lit our little 2-foot fountains in the parking lot armed with water bottles prepared to drench any out of control sparks while our neighbors launched aerial fireworks hundreds of feet into the air over our heads. Yeah, I'm thinking we were probably low on the police priority list.

In other news, I am impressed by the large quantities of what must be truly expensive fireworks that our neighbors can afford to blow up in the sky over our condo.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You didn't shoot your eye out did you?

trjq

4:37 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You would NOT believe the size of the fireworks that people let off around here. It's like having a professional fireworks show in your neighbors yard. If they had let those off in California, there would have been a forest fire for sure. Amazing stuff. And they've been doing it every weekend for the last 2 weeks.

Poor dogs are basket cases now.

-Kristin

6:50 AM

 
Blogger Moose Tucker said...

We saw beautiful fireworks from Carlos and Maria's. I imagine they were all illegal, but they were fantastic.

1:54 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for being careful!
I also saw amazing fireworks--from the 16th floor of the World Center Marriott in Orlando--Disney's, Universal's, the community's, and somebody else's. Three concurrently, one an hour later, and another two hours later that I heard and decided I did not need to get up and watch!
I wonder how they design them so they form stars and happy faces, look like waterfalls, and have so many shapes and colors.

11:06 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home