This would be that "career" thing I've heard so much about...

Monday, May 23, 2005

My Kung Fu Sista Kicks Ass - Part 2

JB and I spent the weekend in San Diego at a Kung Fu competition where my Kick Ass Sista... well, kicked some ass.

JB described her as "this really sweet girl" who transformed out there into a wailin' machine-o-punches-and-kicks.

We got to see her do Techniques, Forms, and Sparring. Okay. I was impressed by the techniques.

Then I was blown away by the forms (it's like this 5-minute long dance of awesomeness with a couple of invisible partners who are getting the hootenanny beat out of them). Some guy at the edge of the mat totally recoiled when she charged his way (even though she was maybe 8 feet away from him) THAT'S how intimidating my sweet little sister was.

THEN we got to see her do something called the "double-dagger form" which included (this might come as a shock, brace yourselves) two daggers. Right. Who is this creature and how am I related to her again? And can I learn this, please?

But all of that was my sister alone on the mat. What really REALLY got me was watching her spar. She fought a woman who looked to be about a foot taller than her, but my sister was a bulldog, totally uninhibited and wailing on this other lady like she's been doing this her whole life. Okay, we "fought" as kids, but it was NOTHING like this. (I'm so glad we're past the "rough-housing" phase of our sister-ness.)

All in all it was amazing and inspiring. I can't wait to see her do this again next year.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woo-hoo! I am glad you saw it to describe it...I think! It does sound awesome. We all need to be able to Kung-fu at some times, even if it is just our attitude. I want to see it too. I have seen practicing, but that is different.

6:03 AM

 
Blogger Moose Tucker said...

Hee hee hee!! I like your description. Was there really a guy recoiling? I didn't see him. I would have laughed and then given him my angry face. Sorry, my "AGGRESSION" face.

You should tell them about Mr. N's impersonation of me. That was my favorite part of the evening.

9:09 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home