This would be that "career" thing I've heard so much about...

Thursday, May 05, 2005

I Yogaed-Up My Spine

I have a new shift at work. I go in at 1:00 PM and work until (unless someone lights the building on fire and I have to go find the extinguisher...(that's a metaphorical "fire", dad, and yes a security guy walks me to my car after my shift)) 10:00 PM. Can I just say: THIS IS THE GREATEST SHIFT EVER. Why-o-why does it have to end?

I have mornings and even noon-ings to write. I get to get up, do some yoga***, have some breakfast, make some New Mexico Pinon Coffee, and break out the laptop. Then it's anywhere from 2-4 hours of writing before going in to the D.A.Y. J.O.B. (which I am so much more thankful for now that it doesn't feel like it's burning through my most precious and creative-oriented time of day.)

Amazing how much my outlook has changed in 4 short days.

---

*** So, Yoga. Seriously, people, I am only doing the very first little stretchy sun-salutations thingy and I feel like someone's stuck rusty nails into my lower spine. I have been in pain for 4 days. I keep thinking that this is just the working-the-kinks-out phase, and soon I will be limber like I was when I was actually doing the whole 2 hour ordeal a couple of times a week. And yet the pain continues, unabated. YOGA. Yoga is supposed to make you feel BETTER. I move around like an octogenarian. I can barely put my socks on in the mornings. Luna throws herself on the carpet with her I'm-too-cute-to-not-pet-aren't-I? face and as I try to bend over to scratch her, the GROAN of pain that escapes me scares her away. Then I have to try to STRAIGHTEN UP again.

Did I mention how happy I am about this new shift at work?

4 Comments:

Blogger Moose Tucker said...

I have a friend that had never done yoga and started to do it religiously and had a lot of pain in her spine. She went to a doctor and he said "I don't know what you're doing, but keep doing it. You are repairing years of damage and actually STRAIGHTENING your spine." Apparently she even had minor scoliosis and now her whole body is aligned.

I would say be careful, but it might be worth doing.

8:48 AM

 
Blogger JQ said...

Yeah... That's what I've heard too.

10:19 AM

 
Blogger Moose Tucker said...

YOGA!!!!

I miss yoga. I enjoyed it when I did it. If I had time, and money, I would go back. The people that went daily were really stretchy.

12:35 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yoga is great. Seriously. I've been doing it 3-4 times a week since January and it's made a huge different to how I look and feel.

The pain will end. It'll be good for you.

1:48 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home