This would be that "career" thing I've heard so much about...

Monday, February 27, 2006

My Big Mouth

I have a friend who is getting married soon. She has limited time and limited budget, and I heard this and offered to help by doing wedding flowers. First of all, though I have *helped* with 2 weddings and a "wedding" film, I do not exactly know enough to offer to do someone's wedding flowers.

I am really scared. I don't want to mess up her wedding, I don't want to hand over dying and wilted flowers on her special day. Why don't I keep my mouth shut?! I lament all the time that I have no time and yet I offer to help.

She's a very sweet lady, and I wanted to help because she seemed so stressed and sad. I think I can handle most of it, bouquets, boutonnières, corsages, minor arrangements, but there are things that scare me like huge arrangements, how to dress a large space, where to get a runner, etc. ?!?! And I'm afraid of this responsibility because I really don't want to ruin this day for her.

Top it off with the fact that I've got to attend a shower for a different couple the day before. Very stressful. I don't know how I'm going to survive that weekend.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How very kind of you to offer to do the flowers. But, sometimes, it helps to wait before offering to do something and think about what you can do comfortably. How big is this wedding? What kind of a place will it be in? Maybe looking through a couple of brides' magazines would give you ideas for simple, reasonable, but elegant flowers.
Ask yourself why you offer to do things for people. If you determine that, you might be better able to do those things you really want to do and have time to do.

6:05 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is very nice of you to offer to do her flowers. I know they will turn out beautifully, but that you will feel like they didn't or that they were merely adequate. Ah! So stressful. I hope you have some fun doing them at least! -KH

11:36 AM

 
Blogger JQ said...

Should be fun, if the stress isn't overwhelming...

:)

3:52 PM

 
Blogger Tamara said...

Did you survive?

9:20 AM

 
Blogger JQ said...

Actually, the wedding is NEXT weekend... so still prepping.

How were the Academy Awards?!

3:48 PM

 
Blogger DFA said...

Hey lady,
Please don't worry about the flowers. She knows you are not a professional and is probably just happy that she doesn't have another thing to worry about.
At the end of the day, she will love them. Not because they are perfect but because they were all around her on a special day in her life.
DA

10:48 AM

 
Blogger JQ said...

... that is very sweet. :)

6:31 PM

 
Blogger Moose Tucker said...

Sweet and true. You are doing a huge favor to someone who was stressing about a lot of little things coming together. If she were a Bridezilla, you probably wouldn't even be friends. Have faith! And teach, if you like, I will help out where I can. :)

4:58 PM

 
Blogger Moose Tucker said...

Oh, and did T$ GO TO the Academy Awards???!!!

4:58 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Moose tucker, I did, indeed, go to the Academy Awards. It was awesome.

2:57 PM

 
Blogger Moose Tucker said...

woah...

3:02 PM

 
Blogger Tamara said...

Did you survive?

9:32 AM

 
Blogger Moose Tucker said...

Yes, tell us. How was the wedding?

10:50 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home