This would be that "career" thing I've heard so much about...

Sunday, October 15, 2006

Fifty Crappy Ideas

Last week I scored another 2 points in a game. (Did I already mention that I'm also playing basketball this fall?)

I realized I haven't been blogging on this blog for a long time. It's been an intense 6 months.

Right now I'm trying to generate a list of new screenplay ideas. So far this week I've come up with 50 crappy ideas. I'm trying to do 25 ideas a day (I started on Thursday and had to skip Friday). I can generally get through 16 or 17 quickly, but that last handful gets tougher and tougher. The idea here is that if you just focus on generating LOTS of ideas, eventually, sort of in spite of yourself, you'll hit upon a really good idea. I will let you know if that happens. As I said, right now I've got a plethora of crappy ideas.

I've always hated brainstorming. DA is amazing at this. I'm trying to get better. So. How many crappy ideas do I need to generate to get to the center of a good idea? Stay tuned.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Moose Tucker said...

Quite honestly I want to see the fruition of your other fabulous ideas as well. Do you have time for those, or is it a "must come up with new ideas" time? I don't know how this PROFESSIONAL WRITER thing works. :)

11:45 AM

 
Blogger DFA said...

Keep those crappy ideas coming!

8:28 PM

 
Blogger JQ said...

I've got about 150 crappy ideas right now... and a few decent ones. :)

Working on 2 outlines currently as well. That is more hit and miss. This stage is always very frustrating for me, because picking the STORY for your story is tough.

A great idea is great... but you need a great story to back it up.

9:18 PM

 
Blogger DFA said...

I have the same problem right now. I have two great ideas for my Ugly Betty but I don't know where to take them. Story! Ugh!

5:16 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home