This would be that "career" thing I've heard so much about...

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Wedding Recap: Sunday

SUNDAY

Sunday morning JB cooked us all a lovely breakfast and I got my family prepping green orchids for the bouquets assembly-line style. Thank you, family!!! It would have taken me another 1-2 hours to do everything you guys did that morning - which would have been a disaster as we were just exactly on time as it was. JB was a saint, the whole weekend.

By the time JW and AW arrived, I had made 4 bridesmaid's bouquets and was starting on the bridal bouquet. JW made the two tall vases for the sides of the fountain which was the backdrop for the ceremony.

We really hauled ass and finished all 20 boutonnieres and corsages.

We packed up the flowers into the SUV and JW and AW transported them down. JB and I said goodbye to my family, turned the condo's heater back on, and piled into our car complete with our change-of-clothes for the wedding and some cameras. We blasted through the In N Out drive through and battled SUNDAY AFTERNOON?! traffic on the 101 south. It took longer than I thought it would, and I spent the entire car ride (JB will verify this) panicking.

We got to the wedding site (on top of a building in the open air - it was beautiful but COLD!) and started prepping. I don't even remember in what order this happened:
- delivered the bouquets (one bridal and 4 bridesmaids') to the bridal party.
- made 9 pew bows to decorate the aisle and a beautiful stair case.
- made a vase arrangement for a wall-cubby leading out to the wedding site.
- built a calla lily arrangement on top of a wall fountain which was the ceremony site.
- JW and AW decorated the wedding cake and cake table.
- JB and I changed into our "guest" clothing.
- found 20 people to pin boutonnieres and corsages on.
- battled with the wind to light the wedding candles.

Then they had the wedding ceremony - which was lovely. I'm very happy for my friend, she looked beautiful and very much in love.

Then the guests went back inside while we waited for the caterers to strike the ceremony chairs and set up the reception tables. We had 12 table arrangements and sprinkled rose petals all over everything.

AW and JW stayed until the reception site was up, then loaded up the floral arranging supplies and headed home, exhausted, wet, and tired. I am so grateful to them for all their help.

Then the guests came back out, they had the dances, and people started eating. JB and I ducked inside and got some drinks from the bar (vodka and cranberry, thank you). Then we sat down at our table and toasted with the crowd.

Then it started raining.

JB and I had a moment, almost alone on the top of this building as everyone scurried for the shelter inside, with the wedding flowers and the rain. It was so peaceful and - well, wet, but I felt this huge feeling of relief.

For us, the wedding was over, and I think it turned out beautifully.

I got home (lovely, warmly heated home!) and took a quick hot bath. JW and AW arrived to pick up left-over flower tools and drop off the "extras" - out of which I made one really awesome lily and rose vase arrangement for our kitchen table.

I think I was in bed by 9:30. I was asleep by 9:31.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! Congrats on acheiving all of that! -KH

1:36 PM

 
Blogger DFA said...

I LOVE bad weather at weddings. It happens at all the time in my family. Bad weather kind of makes everybody throw up their hands and enjoy the moment.

1:43 PM

 
Blogger JQ said...

It's true... it was a really nice moment, actually, when everyone went inside except me and JB and a few others... quiet moment on top of a tall building in a rainstorm...

4:38 PM

 
Blogger JQ said...

And KH - thanks! I'm still not 100% recovered!

4:38 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home