This would be that "career" thing I've heard so much about...

Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Corporate Drinks

Corporate drinks tonight. This would not be the Long-Island-Iced-Tea kind of thing. More like a Single-Glass-Of-Wine-And-Drink-It-Slowly deal. It's weird getting drunk in front of your boss.

Yeah.

Did I tell you the story about how I got drunk at the Christmas Party and broke two glasses at this very nice restaurant (by toasting everything with my Japanese co-worker)? There was this guy - you know who you are, mister - who would fill up our wine glasses whenever we weren't looking. Bad! Bad! I vaguely remember looking up at one point in the evening to find the ENTIRE COMPANY standing around our table smiling. I think we were toasting the napkins by that point, I couldn't tell ya. That was shortly before the BIG BOSS took me aside and suggested I take a nice walk around the patio with some coworkers who were not intoxicated and maybe stay away from the wine for a couple of minutes.

We also - again, don't remember where this took place in the course of the evening - became the compliment gang. Random people would walk up to us and get complimented and told how awesome they were and how we wanted our daughters to be just like them... I think this caused a little bit of undue stress for some of our male co-workers.

I will just state, for the record, that I am now very conservative with my alcohol intake at corporate functions. And I don't set my wine glass down anymore.

At least I didn't cry.

4 Comments:

Blogger Moose Tucker said...

Did I ever tell you about the time at a Christmas party that my friend told me I would be in charge one day and I said "Yeah, you're all fired!" and the CEO was standing behind me?

9:58 AM

 
Blogger JQ said...

Hee hee hee...

10:09 AM

 
Blogger Cornell Class of 1995 said...

That was some funny, funny shit. Of course, we were all a little prone to overemotional indulgence at that point, what with the corporate upheaval, being wrested from our comfy perch on the Universal lot, and dealing with the uncertain nature of our paychecks. Also Josh was still there. I miss Josh. I do remember you also being a bit inebriated at Paola's birthday party - I'm not sure I would have been able to convince you to karaoke "La Isla Bonita" otherwise.

8:37 PM

 
Blogger JQ said...

Yeah, that party was one big powder keg of emotion. I miss Josh, too! And I think we should plan a "La Isla Bonita" reprise. Or maybe a new Madonna song. You know, for a new era. Paola's party - I think I got into a shot-for-shot thing with Mario. Is that right? Was Mario there?

9:26 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home