This would be that "career" thing I've heard so much about...

Friday, February 18, 2005

Less Talking, More Writing

It took me a long time (maybe 5 years of writing screenplays) to get to the point where I could call myself a writer without cringing. Or apologizing. And that was great. I live in Los Angeles. I'm out here to pursue screenwriting. I'm meeting people - finally! - and getting my scripts read!

Amazing how fast that can turn into self-satisfaction. I found myself talking about the craft of screenwriting, or the dedication it takes to be a writer, or how hard it is, or how much perseverance it takes... Talking about it more and practicing it less.

This happened more frequently when I was in closer daily communication with a guy who also called himself a writer. He had written most of a script about 4 years ago. But he could talk the talk, man. Boy howdy, he sounded like the genuine article. That scared the crap out of me. I shut up about writing and started getting up every day before The Day Job to write for 2-3 hours.

I've been writing screenplays for 8 years now. In that time I've cranked out eleven scripts (keeping in mind there was that whole film-school black hole in the middle), most quite mediocre, a few I'd let others read, and just recently - ones I think might actually entertain someone. Someone not related to me, even. So I feel like I'm finally getting the hang of this strange animal that is scriptwriting. And I feel like I am a baby who's pleased she learned to crawl in a world of Olympic gymnasts. I know I have a long way to go.

But, damn, it feels good to be crawling after sitting on my ass for 8 years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home