This would be that "career" thing I've heard so much about...

Thursday, November 03, 2005

November Rollercoaster

Well, after blogging rapturously about the costume, I am here to tell you it was a crash-and-burn at the last second. I spent all my time on the first part (which turned out very well, thank you!) but rushed through the second part, erroneously thinking it wasn't necessary to make a mockup because this isn't a "fitted" garment.

Ahem. If you EVER hear me say I don't need to make a mockup again, please grab the nearest heavy object and beat me around the head a little. Keep in mind that the garment takes 10 yards of material for the surcote and 10 yards of more material for the lining. So that's 20 yards of fabric that I blew through. I hemmed it PERFECTLY (taking another 3 hours to do that nice sewing machine trick, but this time it was really really nice looking at the end). Then I put it on. This is a surcote, meaning it's like a dress with two gaping holes for arms. The front piece of the garment is about 4 inches too narrow, which makes me look about 12 inches too wide. NOT A GOOD FEELING.

JB walked in just after I tried it on and said "Is it supposed to look like that?" with a carefully neutral expression on his face. While I'm sure this was motivated by feelings of love and concern, it ensured that I would NEVER wear the damn thing out of the house. I will, however, attempt to sell it on eBay. The actual garment looks very nice. Just not on me.

In other news, my new class started and so far it's as great as I had hoped (knocking on wood that it will continue thus.)

Happy Thursday, all!

2 Comments:

Blogger Tamara said...

Now, because I'm a little bit evil, I totally want to see a picture.

4:47 PM

 
Blogger JQ said...

I'll show you the real thing. :)

5:57 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home