This would be that "career" thing I've heard so much about...

Friday, July 23, 2004

The John Titor Question

Since I keep hearing about this guy:

John Titor: PRO

John Titor: CON

Maybe it's because I grew up on a diet of excellent science-fiction books (and some fun sci-fi movies), but reading stuff like this always sets my imagination running.  This is not to say I believe John Titor is anything other than some author's experiment.  But I've been in a depressed political mood lately what with the past 3 years, the war, and the rumors that certain people are looking for legal reasons why a national election could be delayed.  Some days it's easier to imagine our country fractured in a horrible civil war than other days.  All that having been said, I come down firmly on the side of "let's avoid nuclear conflict at all cost." 

I remember growing up, all the elementary kids thought there were missiles in our mountains that would shoot up through a mile of rock to go soaring over the ocean towards Russia as their missiles came for us.  I also believed that the missiles launching out of our mountains would trigger a volcanic eruption and we'd all be burned up by lava before the nuclear missiles got us.  I tried to figure out how far away we'd have to be from the mountain when the eruption happened so we could out run the by-this-time-cooling lava.  I don't know if I had a contingency plan for when the nuclear weapons arrived.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home