This would be that "career" thing I've heard so much about...

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Yes, I'm Tall.

A kind of weird thing happened to me at work yesterday. I was actually - actively - recruited for the Corporate Basketball Team. And - after protesting that I would likely do more damage than good for whatever team I was let loose on and having all my well-reasoned excuses waived down - I said "sure, I'll sign up."

Brace yourselves for a shock: I was never what you might call an "athletic" child. More what you might call a "bookish" child. I HATED the "team" sports at school because I had glasses and braces and coltishly-awkward skinny long legs and was - yes - generally picked last-ish.

I'm thinking it's PMS. Or... some part of me has recognized that it's possible that the universe has gotten tired of listening to me whine about not having enough physical activity in my life and has presented me with this opportunity that will either 1) give me some physical activity or 2) convince me to cease and desist with the complaining about exercise already.

I asked the lady who recruited me when we start rehearsals. She kind of smiled this half-sweet / half-worried smile and told me "practices" hadn't been scheduled yet.

And did you know you have to have special shoes to play basketball? I mean - not the same sneakers you go running in. A whole different kind of sneaker with a high-top to protect your ankles. I have to worry about my ANKLES.

I signed a waiver promising that if I get hurt I'll admit it's my own damn fault and not sue the company.

Who knows. Maybe I never got into basketball because as a child I was so afraid of rejection that I decided that team sports were stupid and who wanted to get caught up in some pointless exercise where two groups of people expend vast amounts of energy trying to get a ball through a hoop when that time could just as well be spent devouring the entire collection of Sweet Valley High books? SWEET VALLEY HIGH, people. THAT'S how much I hated the idea of playing team sports.

It's going to be an interesting spring.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's awesome! I can't wait to hear how it goes. Just try and have fun. :) -KH

3:48 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Look at it as an opportunity to have fun with co-workers and get exercise. If it doesn't work out, have you heard of the "Molly" books?

5:57 AM

 
Blogger Moose Tucker said...

I find it amazing that you are a writer, a swing-shift supervisor, a florist, and a burgeoning basketball player. How ever do you find the time?

1:32 PM

 
Blogger JQ said...

Ah, THAT would be the problem. We shall see...

8:30 AM

 
Blogger Tamara said...

I do recommend high tops if you're going to be playing. The changes in direction and speed at which you do, wreak havoc on your ankles. I had to get taped up before every game. Have fun, first and foremost. Basketball can be such a blast if you're playing with the right people. I think I might be slightly jealous....

12:38 PM

 
Blogger DFA said...

WOW!!! That is so cool. I just love the idea of be recruited. Do we get to come and watch you play? I was on the swim team when I was in high school. I was so embarassed when my mom came to meets but now I look back on it with fondness.
And yes, you are tall... that's why your nickname "baby legs" is so ironic. You are tall... I am green...with envy.

3:20 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home