This would be that "career" thing I've heard so much about...

Friday, June 25, 2004

An Expensive Habit

I think I might be addicted to school. I can hear the siren call of academia growing steadily louder. I’m sure this has nothing to do with the fact that I’ve been at my dead-end job now for 76 weeks. Don’t get me wrong – as far as dead end jobs go this one’s a peach. So why retreat into the Ivory Tower?

School is comforting on many levels. I love the structure and the extremely defined goals. I love knowing what I'm going to be doing for the next couple of semesters (even if it's just "I'll be in film school"). I love competing in an academic setting. Okay - I love excelling in an academic setting. I love campuses. I love libraries. I even love late night study sessions and the feeling of satisfaction you get after an exam. Everything is so clear in school. And goals are easily attainable, if only because you have such manageable time frames. One semester, one summer, one year.

I have a BA. I have an MFA. I'm not interested in a PhD. Do I really need another MFA? Despite the schoolie in my brain that screams "Yes!" I think not. I think, instead, that I will focus on my career, which is the only reason I'm living in LA instead of some beautiful, remote, small town somewhere.

Oh yeah, and paying off my student loans.

So here's where I am with respect to my career: I have one script (let's call it "B") that I'm rewriting for two producers, and one script (let's call it "K") that I'm developing with a different producer.

Goals: To finish "B" and submit it, get it off my desk (it's been a long road). To finish the "K" treatment and meet with the producer again. To outline a new idea - as of yet unlettered. Ra ra ra.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home